Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ladies and Gentleman Damask Wingbacks

My client had this pair of red checked chair....a gentleman's (larger framed) and a ladies chair. She was ready for a a change.



Ladies chair--- BEFORE


Gentleman's chair--- BEFORE----check out those HUGE "telephone" arms. At least that's what I call them...they look like the old school phones.



AFTER---- She chose a stunning tan linen fabric that had a black flocked velvet damask print on it.


Gentleman's Chair--- AFTER



Ladies chair--- AFTER


Close up of "telephone" arms


I did the sides on the outside all in one piece, so I wouldn't have to match up the pattern from the outside wing to the under arm. I had to put pins above the repeat for placement, because I couldn't see the pattern from the wrong side of the fabric. SO I had to go off my pins and hope it all worked out.


I sewed a 1.5" casing around the bottom edge, and then fed a rope through pulled it tight and tied it to the back leg. This is a great solution to help keep the slipcover tight and in place....but time consuming if you have to refeed the rope through if you are going to be washing often..... These will be dry clean only, with the velvet flocking, so it was a great option for these.


Close up of casing....with a couch... you'd do two casings on the front and back sides a few inches apart, so you can figure 8 the rope through. My client showed me this casing idea off another slipcover she had made in Virginia....I loved it!


I loved the transformation in the room!!!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

WOW! Your work is ALWAYS impressive, but this is just extra fantastic. the casing along the bottom is brilliant. And the fabric is so bold, I just adore it.

Unknown said...

Love them cause i have chairs very similiar!:) would paint the legs black though!

ART aka Anna-Ruth Taynton said...

STUNNING!!!!!!

Emily said...

They are absolutely beautiful.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eclectically Vintage said...

Fabulous - from country to chic! Love the black flocked fabric - makes me want to cozy up with a book and a glass of wine!
Kelly

Kim's Upholstery Shop said...

Customers like that make doing a job so much fun! Lucky you - and lucky THEM to get such beautiful slipcovers.

Cassi said...

I love it, Shelley! This might just be my favorite project. Thanks for the tip with the cording - I might just need that soon.

Angie said...

Shelley, these are incredible! The photo in front of the fireplace should be a book or magazine cover.